Monday, June 7, 2010

listeningtocatpowerwhiledrunkandthesunsetsbeerfoamgoldoneverything

kids pretending they’re airplanes soaring into the wind

hang-gliding their way along the sidewalk

midair smiles pooled on their tiny faces

while something magnetic triggers a sprig of joy

a letting go

that shoots rest through the shrieked delight of horns


shake this land

sturdy and shoddy

with faded dollar signs

overt to the touch of mentioning

living at the tops that you’re not anymore


direct hits stenciled in redwhite&blue

ever the wits of wanting getting taken again

back and leashed to the tip of the tongue


under the cap of hairless reveries

we can’t hide like snails or

reinvent these same old inventions

so hills of blueberries can speak like gravel


guess my weight and I’ll buy you a five-dollar bill

just so lincoln’s face can grift through my hands


the gashouse gang has gone home for the winter

the baltimore chop has come back into style


we need belts

just not in the face

this time my

nose

can’t take the brunt

of things

come my way

anymore


my clothes are estivating somewhere

south of nowhere


there is nobody at fault

there is nothing to attempt

a rule of thumb attacks the hand that starves it

we are creatures of advertising slogans


run away with me

you better run

run

run away

with me